FAQ: Which Cough Drops Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- 1 Can you take Halls cough drops while pregnant?
- 2 Are cough drops with benzocaine safe during pregnancy?
- 3 Is menthol safe during pregnancy?
- 4 What can you take for a cough when pregnant?
- 5 Are halls OK during pregnancy?
- 6 What can I take for sore throat while pregnant?
- 7 Is Honey safe during pregnancy?
- 8 What helps a dry cough while pregnant?
- 9 What can I take for cold and flu while pregnant?
- 10 What is the home remedy for cough during pregnancy?
- 11 Can I use pain relief cream while pregnant?
- 12 Can you have cough sweets when pregnant?
- 13 What if I took NyQuil while pregnant?
- 14 Is mucinex safe in pregnancy?
- 15 What medications are unsafe during pregnancy?
Can you take Halls cough drops while pregnant?
It is always best to consult your doctor before taking any over the counter products while you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Because cough drops are not prescription drugs, they do not have a pregnancy safety rating from the FDA, so the risk of taking throat lozenges while pregnant is not fully known.
Are cough drops with benzocaine safe during pregnancy?
Benzocaine / dextromethorphan / menthol Pregnancy Warnings The manufacturer makes no recommendation regarding use during pregnancy.
Is menthol safe during pregnancy?
Menthol topical Pregnancy Warnings The manufacturer makes no recommendation regarding use during pregnancy. Animal studies are not available. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. AU Exempt: Medications exempted from pregnancy classification are not absolutely safe for use in pregnancy in all circumstances.
What can you take for a cough when pregnant?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
Are halls OK during pregnancy?
You may take: Cough drops (throat lozenges), such as Halls, Ricola or Cepacol. Guaifenesin (Mucinex, plain Robitussin) for a dry cough. Afrin nasal spray.
What can I take for sore throat while pregnant?
Pregnant women can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for a sore throat with a limit of 3,000 mg in 24 hours. An antihistamine may help if the sore throat is due to postnasal drip because it can dry up those secretions. Sprays or lozenges that contain benzocaine, a local anesthetic, can help numb the throat.
Is Honey safe during pregnancy?
Can pregnant women eat honey? Yes, it’s safe to eat honey during pregnancy. While it’s not safe to give honey to babies under a year old, eating honey when you’re pregnant won’t harm you or your unborn child.
What helps a dry cough while pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days.
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
What can I take for cold and flu while pregnant?
Safe OTC Cold and Flu Treatment to Use During Pregnancy
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Saline nasal drops or spray.
- Tylenol Sinus.
- Tylenol Cold and Flu.
- Warm salt/water gargle.
What is the home remedy for cough during pregnancy?
Home Remedies For A Cold & Cough During Pregnancy
- Stay Hydrated. A sore throat might make it difficult to drink water while dealing with a cold.
- Take a Prenatal Vitamin.
- Homemade Chicken Soup.
- Pineapple Juice.
- Bed Rest.
Can I use pain relief cream while pregnant?
Ben Gay, Icy Hot and other muscle creams can help sooth aching backs or other painful muscles—but you need to avoid these during pregnancy, especially during the third trimester. That’s because the active ingredient in these is methyl salicylate, which is an NSAID.
Can you have cough sweets when pregnant?
If you want to use a cough syrup or lozenge, ask your pharmacist to recommend one that’s safe for pregnancy. You can bring down a fever with paracetamol, as this is safe to take in pregnancy (Larson and File 2019, NHS 2018a).
What if I took NyQuil while pregnant?
You should not take NyQuil Severe Cold & Flu if you’re pregnant. Use of its active ingredient in early pregnancy may be linked with some birth defects. You should also talk to your doctor before using the liquid forms of NyQuil Cold & Flu and NyQuil Cough during pregnancy.
Is mucinex safe in pregnancy?
Mucinex is likely safe to take while breastfeeding and during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Before taking any medication while pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor first.
What medications are unsafe during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants.
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin.
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).